Louisiana LLC Costs
Recommended LLC Services
A limited liability company, or LLC, is a business structure that provides business owners with liability protection, unique tax benefits, incentives, and a workable management structure. A misconception among small business owners and entrepreneurs is that the LLC formation process in Louisiana is overly complicated and expensive. But, it is straightforward and worth the cost in the long run.
Costs to start an LLC in Louisiana
LLC Articles of Organization ($100)
Louisiana annual report fee ($30)
- You must file your LLC’s annual report with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
- You will file the LLC’s annual report online using the Louisiana geauxBIZ website.
- The annual fee in Louisiana is $30.
- You must submit the annual report fee on the formation anniversary date.
Louisiana registered agent fee (varies between $50 to $300)
- When you form an LLC in Louisiana, you must appoint a registered agent.
- It alerts the Louisiana Secretary of State that someone is available to accept subpoenas, tax notices, and other vital documents.
- You can appoint anyone as a registered agent if they meet the state requirements. That includes yourself.
- The price for appointing a registered agent will differ depending on the service, your LLC needs, and state filing fees.
Fees to form a foreign LLC in Louisiana ($150)
- You must register your LLC as a foreign LLC if you have an existing one in another state and are looking to expand.
- You can register your foreign LLC online using the Louisiana geauxBIZ.com website.
- Or, you can complete the Application for Authority to Transact Business in Louisiana (Form 972) and submit it by mail to the Secretary of State.
- The LLC filing fee to register a Louisiana foreign LLC is $150.
LLC name reservation fee ($25)
- The state of Louisiana does not require you to reserve an LLC before formation as long as it is available.
- By reserving a company name, you ensure no one else can register the same name before you complete the LLC formation process.
- A Louisiana LLC name must be unique.
- An LLC name is valid for up to 120 days before formation.
- You can reserve an LLC name online using the Louisiana geauxBIZ website.
- Or by mail by completing Form 398 and submitting it to the Secretary of State.
- The LLC cost to reserve a company name in Louisiana is $25.
DBA filing fees in Louisiana ($75 online)
- The term DBA in Louisiana means ‘doing business as.’ A DBA, or assumed name, is any registered name a business or individual uses that is not the company’s legal name.
- Louisiana does not require LLCs to register a DBA. However, if you file a DBA, no one else in the state can use the same company name.
- You can register online using the Louisiana geauxBIZ website.
- Or, you can complete the Assignment of Trade Name (Form 397) and submit it by mail to the Secretary of State.
- The cost to register a DBA in Louisiana is $75.
Cost of certified document copies ($15)
- You will order your certified LLC documents through the Louisiana Secretary of State’s website.
- The cost for LLC documents in Louisiana is $15.
Certificate of Good Standing ($20)
- Financial institutions and banks will require a Certificate of Good Standing before you can open a business bank account.
- You can order an LLC’s Certificate of Good Standing from the Lousiana Secretary of State website.
- Or, you can follow the instructions and submit your request by mail or fax.
- The filing cost for a Certificate of Good Standing in Louisiana is $20.
Steps to start an LLC in Louisiana
Choose a business name
When choosing a Louisiana LLC name, you will want to consider a few things.
- In Louisiana, the LLC name must be unique.
- LLC names must meet all Louisiana LLC name guidelines.
- You will want to check for a web domain available to keep branding consistent.
You will use the Louisiana Secretary of State’s website to conduct a name search.
LLC name reservation fee
You are not required to reserve a Louisiana LLC name before you begin formation. You can reserve an LLC name for up to 120 days before formation.
You can reserve an LLC name online using the Louisiana geauxBIZ website.
Or by mail by completing Form 398 and submitting it to the Secretary of State.
The cost to reserve a company name in Louisiana is $25. An LLC name is good for up to 120 days. Louisiana does not require you to reserve an LLC name.
Appoint a Louisiana registered agent
The Louisiana Secretary of State requires you to appoint a registered agent when forming an LLC.
The price for a Louisiana registered agent or service varies between $50 and $100 a year. The cost depends on the state and your LLC needs.
A registered agent in Louisiana is an individual or business entity that receives tax forms, legal documents, subpoenas, civil notices, service of process, and other official government correspondence on behalf of a sole proprietorship, corporation, or LLC.
The registered agent you choose must be a Louisiana resident or a registered agent service authorized to conduct business in the state.
- Starter Plan – $39 a year plus State Fees
- Pro Plan – $149 a year plus State Fees
- Premium Plan – $249 a year plus State Fees
ZenBusiness has a stand-alone registered agent service for LLCs. The price is $99 per year.
- Total Out The Door Louisiana LLC Formation Service Package – $45 month and includes:
- Louisiana State Fee
- Filing Service Fee
- Registered Agent
- Tax ID
- Annual Plan – $225 plus State Fees a year
- Economy – $79 plus $153 Louisiana filing fees
- Standard – $329 plus $153 state filing fees
- Express Gold – $349 plus $255 state filing fees
File Louisiana Articles of Organization
You must file your Louisiana Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State.
You can file your Articles of Organization online by using Louisiana geauxBIZ.
Or, you can complete the Articles of Organization form (Form 365) and submit it by mail.
The cost to file your Louisiana Articles of Organization is $100.
Louisiana does offer expedited service for an additional fee of $50 for a 3-hour turnaround.
State of Louisiana Secretary of State
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804
Form 365 will ask you for specific information about your LLC.
- LLC name
- Purpose of LLC formation
- Duration of the LLC
The fee in Louisiana for filing your LLC Articles of Organization is $100.
Get a Louisiana LLC EIN
An Employer Identification Number, or EIN, can also be referred to as a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Federal Tax ID Number (FTIN).
The Internal Revenue Service, or LLC, assigns a 9-digit number (EIN) that works as a Social Security Number to companies for income tax purposes.
In Louisiana, you must file for an EIN if you convert a sole proprietorship into an LLC.
Applying for an EIN is a simple process online through the IRS website.
Business banking for a Louisiana LLC
The best business practice is to open a business banking account that is separate from your personal bank account. It will protect your assets and credit scores.
A bank will require you to present a copy of your Articles of Organization, an operating agreement, and your EIN.
Business banking accounts are generally free, and do not have additional charges or fees.
Business attorney fees in Louisiana
Retaining an attorney when forming an LLC in Louisiana will help keep the process simple, and you will have someone to handle any business-related issues that may arise.
For first-time clients, many business attorneys will offer free consultations.
On average, a business lawyer in Louisiana will cost $300 per hour.
LLC taxes in Louisiana
- Your LLC is considered a pass-through entity in Louisiana. You will file your personal tax returns rather than the LLC’s.
- You must register for a seller’s permit with the State of Louisiana if you sell physical products.
- The Louisiana state tax rate is 4.45%, and a max local and county rate of 7.00%.
- Louisiana has an annual franchise tax. It is due on the 15th day after the end of the fiscal year.
- You must register for Unemployment Insurance Tax through the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
- In Louisiana, you are required to enroll in Employee Withholding Tax through the Lousiana Department of Revenue.
- State and federal taxes can get complicated. An LLC benefits from having a tax expert on staff because it helps to avoid late fees, penalties, and possible dissolution.
Business licenses and permits in Louisiana
Business licenses and permits differ depending on where the LLC is located and the type of business.
You will use the Louisiana geauxBIZ website to search for the license that you will need for your LLC.
A business licence in Louisiana averages between $25 to $75. The total cost of permits and licences will depend on where your LLC is, and the type of LLC.
Every Louisiana city and parish office will have different rules and processes. You will need to contact the government office for questions about the process, price, and office hours.
Some LLC documents and forms in Louisiana may require a notarization from a notary public.
Most government agencies have one in the office if you cannot locate one.
The average cost of notarization in Louisiana is $20.
Per Louisiana law, a notary public can only charge a max of $35.
Employer obligations in Louisiana
- Louisiana has specific employer obligations if your LLC hires employees.
- A business must verify with the federal government that all employees are eligible to work in the United States using Form I-9 from the USCIS Website.
- Louisiana mandates that you enroll in worker’s compensation insurance.
- You will use the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Service to report new hires.
- You can find a complete list of Louisiana employer obligations.
Benefits of a Louisiana LLC
- Forming an LLC in Louisiana keeps banking simple. Banks and lenders will require you to open an LLC banking account that is separate from your personal bank account.
- LLCs have different compliance requirements than LLCs in Louisiana. For instance, incorporations answer to shareholders and stock owners when they make critical business decisions.
- An LLC is a pass-through entity in Louisiana. The earnings of your LLC are only taxed once through your personal tax returns.
- When you form an LLC in Louisiana, it helps to ensure you are not double-taxed. C-corporations, for example, are often double taxed while LLCs are not.
- Louisiana LLC filing fees are affordable. It is only $100 to file your Articles of Organization.
- Louisiana has incentives that are available to LLCs. The Enterprise Zone and Small Business Loan and Guaranty Program are both available for LLCs.
How long does it take to register an LLC in Louisiana?
It takes Louisiana 2 to 4 business days to process LLC formation documents if you file online. If you file by mail, it will take 3 to 5 business days.
Louisiana offers expedited same-day service for an additional $50.
How do I dissolve my Louisiana LLC?
Are there publishing requirements for Louisiana LLCs?
Unlike Arizona and New York, Louisiana has no publishing requirements outside your annual report fee.
Do I need a business operating agreement for my LLC in Louisiana?
The state of Louisiana does not require you to file an operating agreement.
However, LLCs benefit from having an operating agreement on file to avoid future misunderstandings. It can be written or oral.
Find out how much it costs to start an LLC in your state
Click below to get started.