Nolo Review (2024)
Nolo provides legal guidance, advice, and documents at relatively reasonable prices. Our Nolo review gives you the necessary details you need to make your decision. Nolo does a great job when it comes to basic features such as speed, customer service, and ease of use. The Nolo website also has a lot of helpful material and articles available for free.
How it Works
Nolo provides customized documents such as estate planning forms like Wills, living trust, power of attorney, and so in. They also provide business formation services including LLC formation and Registered Agent Service.
You also have the option to speak with a lawyer via the website’s “Find A Lawyer” feature. You simply give a brief description of your case, the computer matches you with the right lawyer, and you can proceed to hire the attorney.
Nolo offers a lot of DIY products in their store for various prices. Their LLC formation pricing, however, comes in only two packages: the Basic service, and the Express Premiere Service.
- The Basic Service – $99 + State Fee: the basic service is pretty simple – you get a standard filing and shipping takes about 1 or 2 weeks and you get a customized LLC operating agreement. This is not a bad deal for $99 plus the state fee.
- Express Premiere Service $299 + State Fee: with this get your standard filing of an LLC operating agreement, and you also get a priority rush filing and shipping, which speeds up your filing process from two weeks to two days.
You also get personalized LLC record kits and seal, with 20 membership certificates, stamped with your company name.
Finally with the express premier service you get an IRS application for your federal tax ID number (EIN) filed for you.
We have to say that we particularly like Nolo’s two package system. It eliminates unnecessary divisions and price hikes, by giving two well-defined packages, with a clear audience in mind for both.
The basic package is obviously made for people who want to get the company registered and nothing else. They’re also not particularly in a hurry and are willing to get their EINs for themselves.
The premium package, on the other hand, is meant for people who, for some reason or another, need their filings done super fast, and wouldn’t mind getting all their own things done while the company takes care of other processes for them.
- Find A Lawyer – Nolo’s Find a Lawyer feature is one of the few attributes that separates the company from its competition. While other companies may also have something similar, most of them don’t provide an actual attorney for hire but instead give you the opportunity to speak with them for a few minutes. Nolo actually pairs you with a suitable attorney and gives you the opportunity to continue working with them.
- Legal Encyclopaedia – Nolo offers a comprehensive store with numerous, highly educative materials available for purchase. The company is essentially building one vast legal encyclopedia to make your forays into the legal world more pleasurable.
- Materials – The company website also has a lot of helpful material and articles available for free. You can read more on a lot of law-related issues such as divorce and family law, criminal law, estate planning, intellectual property, and so on.
- Free Calculator – Among the “numerous helpful resources” we referred to above is a free calculator on the Nolo website, capable of giving you an estimate of your mortgages, car payment, investments, retirement, among others.
- Speed – Nolo’s turnaround time of one to two weeks is practically standard industry practice; its TAT of two days for the express package, on the other hand, is quite impressive.
- Registered Agent Service – While Nolo itself does not offer Registered Agent Service, it does provide one through its partner commercial agent, Vcorp Services, for customers who wish to make use of a Registered Agent.
- The fee for this is undisclosed.
- Customer Service – Nolo has active customer service available on all weekdays from 8am to 5pm. It also has a contact option on the website through which customers can send a quick email.
NOLO doesn’t seem to be as well-reviewed as some of its competitions. We think it may be because the company doesn’t pay much attention to customer follow-up.
There was also a considerable number of attorneys who claimed to be unsatisfied with the leads provided by Nolo.
Nolo does a lot of things right through its undeniably useful features and resources like Find A Lawyer, Legal Encyclopaedia, mortgage calculator, and so on.
It also checks the mark when it comes to basic features such as speed, customer service, and ease of use.