ZenBusiness vs MyCorporation
If you want to start a new LLC or corporation, you’ll need to register it with your state’s relevant department – often, the Secretary of State. The complex can be complex, however, so many online services offer guided help for the business formation process. Two popular options are ZenBusiness and MyCorporation. In this article, we’ll compare the two, helping you to choose the option that’s best for your situation.
ZenBusiness vs MyCorporation: Quick look
Both of these companies are business formation services that can help you start a new company. They essentially act like middlemen, bridging the gap between you and your state. They add value by simplifying an often-confusing process, and ensuring that your business is formed accurately and efficiently.
Similarities between ZenBusiness and MyCorporation
- Both make it simple to start a new LLC or corporation
- Both allow you to start a new company online
- Both are compatible with state requirements in all US states
- Both can help you form – and grow – your new business
- Both can serve as your company’s Registered Agent
- Both can help with ongoing compliance and filing requirements
- Both have excellent customer ratings and great reputations
Differences between ZenBusiness and MyCorporation
- ZenBusiness is a subscription service; MyCorporation is mostly one-time fees
- MyCorporation offers trademark and copyright services; ZenBusiness does not
- ZenBusiness includes marketing tools like a business website in some packages; MyCorporation does not
- MyCorporation can help you start specialty businesses like a B-corp or nonprofit; ZenBusiness cannot
ZenBusiness is a subscription-based service that helps with initial business formation as well as ongoing services. With ZenBusiness, you can start a new:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
ZenBusiness makes it easy to start a new business in any US state. They are known for excellent customer support. ZenBusiness offers premium support, and they have the track record to prove it. You will find many positive ZenBusiness reviews on sites like TrustPilot and the Better Business Bureau.
Another unique aspect of ZenBusiness is that it is a subscription service. All plans bill annually, and many valuable ongoing services like Registered Agent, a business website, and more.
MyCorporation is a business formation and ongoing business services provider. With MyCorporation, you can start a new:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Corporation (C-corp, S-corp, B-corp)
- Nonprofit corporation
MyCorporation does focus on the initial business formation process, but they also offer a wide range of useful business services. For instance, they can help with ongoing compliance needs, like filing annual reports and serving as your Registered Agent. They can also help with intellectual property protections, such as copyrights and trademarks, and extras like Employer Identification Numbers (EIN).
MyCorporation also has a great reputation and positive customer feedback. Their business formation packages are one-time fees, rather than subscription-based; although many additional services do have ongoing costs.
ZenBusiness vs MyCorporation: Pricing
When comparing any two services or products, pricing is a substantial factor to pay attention to. The biggest difference between these two options is that ZenBusiness is an ongoing subscription service, while MyCorporation is a one-time fee (with the option to keep ongoing services). Here are the details.
- Starter Package – $129/year + state filing fees – The Starter plan covers all the basics of starting a new LLC or corporation, with standard filing speed. It also includes Registered Agent services.
- Pro Package – $249/year + state filing fees – The Pro Package upgrades the Starter Package by adding an employer identification tax ID number, a banking resolution, corporate bylaws, and many useful templates – as well as expedited filing speed.
- Premium Package – $349/year + state fees – The Premium Package adds extras like a business email address, business website, free domain name, and rush filing service.
- Basic Package – $99 + state filing fees – The Basic Package lets you start a LLC or a corporation online, covering the basics you need, including articles of incorporation and a business name search.
- Standard Package – $124 + state filing fees – The Standard Package takes everything in the Basic package, and adds on bylaws, corporate minutes, waivers, and more. It also includes Annual Report filing service.
- Deluxe Package – $224 + state filing fees – The Deluxe Package includes all features of the previous plans, and adds on ongoing Registered Agent services.
- Premium Package – $324 + state filing fees – The Premium Package includes all features of previous plans, and adds the MaintainMyBiz ongoing compliance support service.
- MaintainMyBiz Package – $250 per year – This optional add-on helps keep your business compliant with various reporting requirements. You can make your choice of 4 filings every 12 month period, with your choice of amendments, annual reports, stock certificates, DBAs, EINs, Certificate of Good Standing, etc.
- MyIncGuard Package – $79 per year – This optional additional service keeps you on top of ongoing reporting requirements by reminding you when they are almost due.
As you can see, both services offer a variety of business formation packages and add-ons. Which is the best LLC service for you? That really depends on what you need.
On the lower end, MyCorporation has the lowest-cost package, at just $99. But, it’s a pretty bare bones package, so you may wish to consider some of the added-cost upsells. If you want to use one of these services as your Registered Agent, ZenBusiness LLC plans are a better value.
Overall, the pricing of these two services is similar to the competition. You will find similar packages and price points from other LLC formation services like LegalZoom, Bizee, and other incorporation services.
ZenBusiness vs MyCorporation: Features
The specific features and services that these two companies offer do differ somewhat. There’s not a clear “winner”, as each brings something unique to the table.
ZenBusiness has marketing tools like a business website, domain name, etc. They also have very cost-effective Registered Agent services, as the service is offered in all plans. A variety of ongoing services help support ongoing business needs.
MyCorporation has support for more specialized business entity structures, such as B-corps and nonprofit entities. They also have intellectual property protections, and a somewhat wider selection of ongoing compliance services to help you file important documents. Neither company offers true legal services, so if that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
As for processing time, both companies are similar – although it will depend on which package you choose. With ZenBusiness, the premium packages offer faster turnaround times (as little as a few business days). With MyCorporation, you can pay a flat $100 fee (regardless of package) to get rush filing speed. In most cases, this means ZenBusiness is a better value if you want fast processing speed.
ZenBusiness vs MyCorporation: Customer service
Both of these companies offer well-rated, lifetime support for all small business customers. Here’s how they stack up.
- ZenBusiness customer support can be reached via phone, online chat, and email. Representatives are available Monday – Friday from 8 am – 8 pm CST, as well as on Sunday from 10 am – 7 pm CST.
- MyCorporation customer support can be reached via phone or email. Representatives are available Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm PT.
Thankfully, both MyCorporation and ZenBusiness have excellent customer service. Both are well rated in customer reviews for their superior support. ZenBusiness is available for longer hours, and on Sundays, but otherwise, the two service providers are similar in their customer support approaches.
Which should you choose?
Now that we’ve gone over all the details, what’s the bottom line? Which business formation company makes the most sense for your situation?
Choose ZenBusiness if…
- You plan to keep Registered Agent services. ZenBusiness includes Registered Agent in all its plans, while MyCorporation only has it in their more premium packages.
- You want weekend customer support. ZenBusiness is available on Sundays, while MyCorporation only has weekday support during normal business hours.
- You want a package deal with a business website, domain, etc. ZenBusiness’ premium plans include useful business marketing tools, like a unique domain name and business website.
- You need rush filing speed. Both companies offer fast processing, but for Rush packages, ZenBusiness is generally a better value.
Choose MyCorporation if…
- You want ongoing compliance support. MyCorporation offers a wider range of ongoing services to help you grow and maintain your business.
- You want intellectual property protections. MyCorporation offers tools to help you register trademarks and copyrights.
- You don’t need ongoing services. Most packages at MyCorporation are one-time fees, with the option to keep ongoing services – with ZenBusiness, all their plans are subscription-based.
- You want to start a nonprofit. MyCorporation supports the formation of nonprofit corporations, while ZenBusiness does not at this time.